Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Ring's Not the Thing

As the holiday season is coming to a close, I know there are a lot of disappointed women out there who were expecting an engagement ring as a Christmas gift. When my ex and I were together any time Valentine's Day, my birthday, or Christmas rolled around there was a woman in my office who would always ask me if I got a ring. She was like "What did Bryan get you? Did you get a diamond?" First of all I don't like diamonds. Second of all getting a ring on one of those three days is such a cliche.

It's amazing that the female mentality has evolved greatly in every aspect except this one. Women have high-powered jobs, buy their own homes, and adopt or have babies on their own. When it comes to a committed relationship with a man, many females revert right back to that 1950s mentality of waiting (im)patiently for that ring. Songs like Beyonce's Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) reinforce that mentality. The diamond industry is constantly touting the fact that a man should spend three months' salary on an engagement right. Say what?

When a man does come up with the ring, it's gotta be the right ring. If it's too small, then she gets all upset. My ex told me that he was once willing to buy a ring for a girl, but it was going to be a small one. He asked her if she'd be willing to accept that ring until he was able to buy her a bigger one, but she said no. Since when is the ring more important that the relationship? Ladies, get your priorities straight. Don't lose the man you love just because your diamond isn't big enough. This isn't some effin' Hollywood movie. This is real life.

3 comments:

  1. yesh an why duz teh woman waytes arownd an let teh man decide wats gonna happen wen izn't it herz own lives? Iz vurry stranj, wen I wants sumthin I shows mai paw an thats that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot of merit to what you just said Michele. Too much emphasis is put on "The ring" instead of the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TW decided after much thought that it was right to buy herself a diamond ring while she was still working. It was tiny and only 10K gold but it was a gift to herself and didn't cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete