Friday, February 10, 2012

Weight-loss is a Journey, Not a Destination

You may have noticed that I haven't really been doing my weekly weigh-in blog post. The reason for that is to take some of the focus off my weight-loss journey. There will be ups and downs and I need to make sure that I'm okay with that because I'm in this for life. One of my Twitter friends is also on a weight-loss journey, and yesterday she tweeted that her trainer told her that a newspaper wanted to do a story on her and her weight-loss. Her first reaction was "But I'm still overweight." By uttering those words, she effectively negated all of the progress that she has made. I got her to look at it all from a different perspective by telling her it's not about how much work she has left to do, it's about the work that she's already done. When we have our eyes on the prize, that's the only thing that matters to us. That tunnel-vision stops us from seeing the successes that we've already realized. Weight Watchers encourages its members to celebrate the small victories because eventually they will add up to become large ones. In Sanskrit there's a saying "Pada pada" and it can be loosely translated to mean "Step by step". In life we must take all things step by step.

When I get to my goal weight my life isn't going to magically change. I'll still be the same Michelle, just not as heavy ;-). My goal weight is not my destination. It's a milestone along the journey. Once I reach that milestone, it will be time for me to reassess my path and make any changes that might be necessary. Two weeks ago I lost 3.4lbs, which was great, but of course a bit of hubris came in and the following week I gained. I brought myself back down to earth, got back on plan, and am happy to report that I lost 1.4lbs this week.

6 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us women do the same thing, whether it's with weight or with something else. If we get 5 positive comments from someone and 1 negative one from someone else, we focus on the negative one. It's a tough battle to win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a never ending journey friend. You have a good attitude and I know you will make it - changing your lifestyle in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luvs your attitood jusht like Mario sayz. You iz an inspirayshunzal purrson an I enjoys reading your blog watever you chewsez to write abowt. *purrrr*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, when TW was younger, she was really skinny and had trouble putting weight on. Now that she's an old codger, she's overweight—at least she thinks she is—but she doesn't care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very wise to look at your journey the way you do. If journeys had an end, there would be so much magic lost.
    xoxo Katie & Glogirly

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done on your weightloss, that's fantastic! I joined bootcamp 3 weeks ago, been following their diet plan and everything and lost 0. Now i just have alot of sore muscles :)
    P.S. I love Gavin DeGraw's music too

    ReplyDelete