Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Love Learning

From some of my previous posts some of you might remember that I'm taking classes to earn a certificate in copyediting. I can honestly say, without one iota of smugness, that words are my forte. The last installment of my background story told you that I practically lived at the library during summer vacation. Books were my escape to new and interesting places. Because I love words so much, I decided to steer my education in that direction a bit to try to incorporate my love of words into my life's work.

Last night I had a class, and the first part of the class was spent in the library putting together information for a five-minute presentation. I have a knack for gathering material and synthesizing it so that the necessary points are presented, yet it's not dull and dry. I'll touch on this in my next installment of my background, but I've always been a shy person. As I've gone out and done different things and taken more chances, that shyness has abated, but it's still there. Once upon a time I would've hated standing in front of a group of people I didn't know and talking about something they might not be interested in, but now I'm okay with it. I'm actually more than okay with it. I like it.

The title of this post is I Love Learning, but it doesn't only refer to learning in a classroom setting. Everything I do and every person I meet is an opportunity for me to learn something new. It may sound strange, but I like knowing stuff. The old Schoolhouse Rock shorts said that knowledge is power and I definitely believe it.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post dear friend. I hope you do well in this class and are able to one day make a career out of something you love. You have done well with your life so far. There is no doubt in my mind but what you will continue to succeed and grow in knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should shoot for the sky and become an editor, not just a copyeditor. Looking at MediaBistro.com there aren't a heck of a lot of copyeditor jobs, at least in NYC, but you have drive so you'll be able to accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with gf, CK. You should head right to the top! I'm proud to know you. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought you were shy. People seem to be naturally drawn to you, but perhaps that is because you turned to learning through reading and self-introspection as a result of your shyness. It's great that you're going back to school. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete