Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cat Allergy Update




In the past 2 days I've talked to 2 different people about my cat allergy. I figured since it's on their minds, it might be on other people's minds, too. For those of you who don't know, I developed a sinus infection at the end of January. The pain and pressure would not go away, despite the use of antibiotics and nasal sprays. After consulting with 2 ear, nose, and throat doctors I was referred to an allergist. After taking the allergy test, imagine my devastation when I found out that I was allergic to cats! I love my kitty babies, so there was no way that I'd ever give them up. I was put on allergy meds and more nasal spray and was told to do nasal irrigation with a neti pot. I'm also supposed to wash my hands after contact with the kitties and keep them out of the bedroom.




Well, I've been following the doctor's instructions for almost 2 months now and my sinuses aren't bothering me, for the most part. I've gotten a bit lax with regard to washing my hands after touching the cats and with using the neti pot, so I feel occasional pain, but I know that can be remedied by being more diligent. I think purchasing and air purifier will help, too. Because of the changes that I've made, I'm sure I can live with cats for the rest of my life, which is something that makes me hapy. Cats are great to have around and I'm glad I didn't have to give up mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment