Monday, August 3, 2009

How I See Myself vs. How Others See Me

From the title you might gather that I'm going to write something deep and philosphical about mental self-preception, but this time I'm going to keep it on the surface and talk about physical self-perception. As some of you may know, I've been doing Weight Watchers since January. To date, I've lost 46lbs. and am the healthiest that I've been in about 5 years. Although 46lbs. is a lot of weight, I weighed over 200lbs. when I started Weight Watchers, so I'm actually starting to get into a more healthy weight range. According to BMI calculations (which I find to be arbitrary), I'm still overweight, but when I measure the ratio between my height and waist size, I'm considered to be at a healthy weight. It's interesting to see the reactions of people that haven't seen me since before I started Weight Watchers. I've dropped 2 sizes and will probably drop one more before I get to my goal. I know that I am by no means skinny, but compared to how I used to look, other people think I'm really small. The phrase one person used is "skin and bones", which I'm not, not by any stretch of the imagination. When people are used to seeing you a certain way, it can sometimes make them a bit uncomfortable to see that you've made a big change. My Weight Watchers leader said that sometimes it makes people think of the changes that they need to make that they might not be ready for. As humans, we tend to project our own feelings and fears onto other people. This causes those other people to question what they're doing and whether it's right. This isn't the first time that someone has told me that I'm getting too skinny, which is ridiculous. I still have plenty of padding covering me, there's just less than there used to be. When I get to my goal, I'll post "Before" and "After" pictures. Until then, I'll continue to take it day by day as I work to give myself a better quality of life.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're doing well Michelle!! Stay positive...you should be proud!! And the BMI is arbitrary; it is a great tool for measuring large populations, but fails miserably on an individual level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Michelle - it's brilliant that you are doing it in a healthy way rather than popping a quick fix pill. I can't wait to see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have lost 12 since starting 7/1 with a long way to go. Yay, Weight Watchers and Yay, sticking to the program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for their comments. I really appreciate them :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a beautiful person. You should be extremely proud of yourself for making this life change. Congrats on your weightloss so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo. You're doing a great thing for yourself.

    ReplyDelete