Monday, January 30, 2012

My How I've Changed

Those of you who read about the debacle with my hairdresser know that I took my braids out and had my hair straightened for the first time in about nine months or so. The first day after I had it done I was like "Oh this is really nice. It looks very pretty." Day two rolled around and I was like "Okay, this isn't as straight as it was yesterday." By the time day three rolled around I was like "Ugh! This sucks! I'm not used to feeling hair on the back of my neck!" Initially I thought my issue was with the fact that my hair is long, therefore I decided that I needed to get it cut. After spending some time online looking at short haircuts, I realized that I no longer like the way my hair looks when it's straight. I feel like straight hair is very much a part of my past and the way that my life used to be. It reminds me of being with my ex and how I let myself be subjugated by that relationship. Also, ever since I took my braids out, it seems that things have been going wrong. I keep getting a later start than I would like to when leaving to go places. There was an incident here at work that was reminiscent of something that would've happened in the past when I was with my ex and cloaked in the apathy that surrounded him. I'm not a superstitious person, but I do believe that everyone and everything possesses a certain type of energy. I now feel a lot of negative energy associated with my hair being straight. Luckily I'll be going to get that taken care of on Saturday afternoon. Yes, with the same person who straightened it, but once it's done I already have someone else in the pipeline that I plan to check out.

I think a lot of what I'm realizing right now has to do with my going through the process of yoga teacher training. Yogic philosophy teaches you to detach from the things that aren't important or that don't serve to make your life peaceful. My straight hair is actually causing me stress and anxiety. I don't like the way it looks and I end up pulling it back into a ponytail, which is a waste of the $60 I paid to have it straightened. I've become very conscious of what's a necessity in my life. Straight hair is definitely not a necessity for me anymore.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful women of color aren't meant to have ponytails. They're meant to have beautiful 'fros or a style to compliment their beauty. Glad you recognized that while TW still has that stringy hair she doesn't know what to do with. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much older than you, I don't know if you know this, but I'll be 50 this year. My point is that back in the 70's women of color were proud of their natural hair and most of them wore it in "naturals" or 'fros. To me, they looked like beautiful African goddesses. They carried themselves so proudly, they were an inspiration to the younger women and the men fell all over themselves to get near them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GF, your gorgeous no matter HOW you do your hair ( I mean that) However, that said and mommy being a hair afficianado, mommy said that she understands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a lovely person whatever your hair is like. I think the most important thing is being comfortable with yourself so do whatever feels right but don't be afraid to try things. A wise baboon once said, wait a minute who is the wise baboon! Not me!

    ReplyDelete