Friday, July 17, 2009

Are You a "Do" or a "Don't"?

I'm sure most of you know that Glamour magazine has a "Do's and Don't's" section every month. As much as we'd love to, we can't all be a "Do" all the time. Sometimes we veer into "Don't" territory, and it ain't pretty! I am by no means a fashion plate, but I try to get it right, because I know what goes through my mind when I see someone who has gone horribly wrong. During the summer, we tend to think we can let it all hang out. It's hotter outside and dress codes at work become a little more relaxed. One thing I've learned is that the right footwear can turn a so-so outfit into a nice one, or a fabulous outfit into a hideous one. One of the top fashion killers is pantyhose with an open-toed shoe. That's almost as bad as walking around in a housedress with your knee highs rolled down a la Vickie Lawrence in Mama's Family. I know it's been a chilly summer in New England, but if you're going for the open toe, rock it hardcore. If your legs are cold under that skirt or dress put on leggings or footless tights.

Two types of shoes that are the bain of my existence are Ugg boots and Crocs. Ugg boots have actually been dead on the fashion scene for a while. I know they're all cozy and warm, and during a New England winter, I might be able to excuse wearing them to work, but why wear them all day? Do you enjoy having feet that look like a sasquatch's? FYI, Uggs jumped the shark quite a few years ago when Marlon Brando was spotted leaving the hospital in a wheel chair, wearing a pair. Think about it. That was a long time ago because Marlon Brando has been dead for 5 years, but the Ugg parade marches on.

Now on to Crocs, those misshapen hunks of rubber that turn your feet into brightly colored blobs. Now I know you're not spending all day gardening, so why would you wear something that's roughly the equivalent of a gardening clog? Those babies are wide-open and have holes so if you're just randomly walking in dirt, your feet or socks are gonna get filthy. Speaking of filthy, I saw a girl walking barefoot in Downtown Boston because her flip flop had broken.. I love Boston, but damn girl, you're gonna need a tetanus shot when you get home! For the love of God, stop by Payless and get some $5.00 flips flops! There was a Payless nearby, btw, that's why I mentioned it. Anyway, back to Crocs. As time has gone by they've tried to spice things up by creating different styles. That doesn't change the fact that it's a rubber shoe that will make your feet sweat and therefore, stink to high heaven! Word has come down the pike that the Crocs folks are bankrupt and I can't say that I'm sorry to hear that. Even with bankruptcy those monstrosities could hang around for a long, long time.

That's enough from me for now. Here's my official disclaimer that this is all in good fun, so that Ugg and Crocs worshippers don't send me hate mail ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment